wide-eyed at 4am

Home for Recovery

1 Comment

I arrived home yesterday by about 1pm. But it was an interesting hour or so.

After seeing my surgeon at about 7am – and getting a good report – I was ready to go.

Soon my nurse came in and checked on getting paperwork together to get me out. Another doctor came in to talk to me and decide on the “scripts” I would take home with me.

I was told to clean up and change close at about 10:30 but once dressed and packed we sat and sat. That really didn’t surprise me. What surprised me was the fact that (after getting the final instructions from my nurse) it took about 40 minutes for the wheelchair taking me out to get there. When he helped me into the chair, I thought “now we’re getting somewhere. I’ll be riding home in a few minutes.”

That wasn’t true. We had to stop at the nurses station to get me “cleared.” That should have taken only a few seconds, but it actually took about 15 minutes because my printout was “lost” somewhere between the computer and the printer (which were both right there at the desk.) Finally, she decided to just give me a “sticker” and I was on my way.

The elevators were crowded with patients being rolled to meet their rides home and to surgery so getting from the 4th to 1st floors actually took a while.

I could tell that we were close to the waiting area because I could feel cool air. As my “driver” parked me, he asked how long it had been since my husband went down to meet me – noting that this area was so busy that he may have been turned away and told to go park for 30 minutes so that he wouldn’t be waiting on me at the pick-up circle.

So by the time I got to the waiting area and then he got back to the pick-up circle we had each waited on the other.

In total, it took us more than an hour to get from the 4th floor and for us both to be in the car and ready to head home.

While my exit experience was a little stressful, the rest of my stay at the Carolinas Medical Hilton was not. This is my 3rd visit within a year and I’ve had excellent people and treatment each time.

I got a real surprise when I awoke in my room. My nurse was one of the nurses that I had for my lymph node surgery. She’s quite a sweet and caring young lady and she remembered me too. She said that it’s rare that they get to see someone “again.” It was nice because she remembered the surgeries that I had had and some of the details about me.

We’ve always been treated well by everyone – even the financial person who came in to talk to me was funny and sweet. I can’t say enough about my care. And it hasn’t just been me. Everyone with me or there to see me has been treated wonderfully. I’ve talked a lot about Levine (and they are amazing and awesome) but CMC has really impressed me with their level of care and their compassion for patients and family.

I’ve met some of the funniest people. That or I just somehow bring out the “funny” in people. I try to make situations that could be difficult easier to work through with humor – or even sometimes just brutal honesty… so maybe that brings something similar out in others.

All of that said – I’m home resting and recovering now. Pain meds are a wonderful thing – especially since my nerve blocks are wearing off. After today, I’m going to try to back off of them. But if this results in being in pain constantly, I’ll have to go back to them. It doesn’t help me heal to be in pain.

I’m getting a visit from my parents today and I think a couple of my co workers are stopping by too. I’m looking forward to it but I have to watch my energy level. It took a lot out of me just to go through the “coming home” process yesterday. So several visitors today may tire me. Of course, if I can manage to stay in my seat and let everyone else “do,” I will probably be fine.

I’m just not good at that.


Author: jillpurdy

A few months ago I wasn't but now I'm a statistic. That doesn't define me. I'm a daughter, a sister, a wife, a step mom, a grandmother, a friend and a Christian. I will continue to love exercise, music, cooking and food, and my family and friends. I'm stubborn, energetic, giving and too OCD for my own good sometimes. And I'm going to stay this way - despite cancer and the treatments that it takes to give it the royal beatdown.

One thought on “Home for Recovery

  1. Happy to hear surgery went well and you are on the recovery side. I know Dennis will take good care of you. When you can move your arms again, give him an extra big hug. Love you and praying for a speedy recovery.

    Sent from my iPhone



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s